Saturday, May 21, 2011

Another old church







It is hard to avoid another old Byzantine church in Athens. They are scattered all over Athens and the city is built around these churches. Far from demolishing them, they are venerated. About 90 percent or more of Greeks are of the Orthodox faith. The Russian Orthodox church is exerting their muscle today. We meet a lot of Russians both in Cappadocia and in Athens. There was a huge Easter celebration in Moscow cathedral recently and it was attended by both Putin and Medvedev. So even in the ancient Agora, we come across an old Byzantine church. This one was closed, so we couldn't go in to see the frescoes or icons. I love the old Byzantine architecture. I can never get enough.
A lot of pictures following these did not load. So this is it for new pictures. I think I ran out space in my computer. I'll be getting a new computer when I get back from Turkey next month. I'm going again.

No comments: