Sunday, May 22, 2011

I love China

 When did they first started pulling noodles? A few thousand years ago? They are still at it. The art and the craft haven't changed! I was strolling along the main street in Lijiang 3 years ago and came upon this young chap at a restaurant, pulling noodles to disco music being played on the radio. I walked in to take his picture, they asked what I want. Besides learning to say 'how are you' or 'thank you' in Mandarin. The other must learn phrase is 'I want to take a few pictures for remembrance.' This will get you in the door almost anywhere in China. My taxi driver in Kunming taught me to say it and I used it throughout my stay in China. It worked except in the Baisha fresco incident.


 Here is the finished product, perfect noodles every time. Amazing!

 Poor yak, they eat yak meat here.


 The tourists were mostly Chinese from other Asian countries or other parts of China. Here they wear a whole ensemble that was purchased in the local shops in Lijiang. Every female tourists is dressed like this. The shopping is great in Lijiang.

I chose to come here because here resides a few groups of minorities. The Nasi minority predominates in Lijiang. They've become very wealthy since Lijiang became a UNESCO World Heritage site. Tourists flock here and spend a lot of money. There's so much more of China that I need to go visit.

No comments: