Sunday, May 08, 2011

small town Kalamata









This guy at the bus stop asked me to take their picture which I obliged. I do love the Greeks, I do love Greece. Kalamata is laid back and friendly. They are happy to see strangers, they don't see too many. There's nothing in Kalamata except in the outlaying areas where there are old monasteries and Greek ruins. I could live in Kalamata because life is so slow that there will be time to get to know people and to learn the language. It's near the sea just yards away, I need to be close to the sea, can't live inland. I grew up in a small fishing village. Our fish still swims after they are caught. We walked past a shop selling Greek souvenirs and the owner insisted on showing us his taxidermy collection. He didn't harass us to buy anything, just that we go look. It was wonderful, he was the consummate collector of natural objects. Who has the time or energy for this kind of hobby anymore? We would take the bus back up the mountain to Artemisia to connect with the bus back to Sparta. This was our last day in the Peloponnese. We were leaving for Athens the next day. It was so wonderful.

No comments: